October 7, 2015

The Spirit of the game!

What would you do if you've done something wrong and you know you've done it. You know that it's going to affect you if you admit it. Would you admit to doing it? Would you resist if someone claims to have experienced what wrong you've done?

If you were playing Ultimate Frisbee, you would admit. You would accept and you would apologise.

Sounds unreal? Well, it's true.

Over the past 6 months, I have started playing a sport I didn't even know existed until recently. It's called Ultimate Frisbee. Yes, there is a disc in the air with 7 people on each team. Boys and girls play together and guess what! - There is no referee.

This sport has won so many hearts in front of my eyes, mine being the first in my experience. There is a certain charm to this sport. A certain kind of an environment which just playing this sport builds in the community. Everyone, irrespective of their off-field personalities becomes calm, composed and an understanding person while they're handling the disc. There is massive respect for all players, regardless of their level in the game. Everyone is equal in this game and anyone can play.

On the 2nd of October, I went to Chennai to play my first Ultimate Frisbee tournament with the Delhi Frisbee team - 'Stray Dogs in Sweaters'. It was a group of sports players who had the most welcoming nature, were cooperative and were willing to help me learn. Even though they were far more skilled and experienced than I was, they never let me feel so. They welcomed me in their team and promised me that I would have fun.

The three tournament days were few of the best days I have had in my sports journey. I have played many sports tournament, but not one of them was as memorable as this one. There was no referee, we kept the time for our own matches, we kept our own scores, the two teams resolved any issues between the games by just talking. Yes, you read it right! Just talking.

I was stunned by the grounded attitude of all these players who were flying with the disc!

After every game, there was something called a spirit circle. Both the teams mixed up and sat together and fellow sports players and talked to each other. Both teams spoke about what they liked about the other team and what they could do better. Then each team picked three players they thought had played well in the game and honoured them with the title of Most Valued Player (MVP) Male/Female and Most Spirited Player (MSP). This was followed by a spirit game. This game was a small off the side mixer where both teams played together just to have fun and to get to know each other well.

My team stood runner up in the Silver Pool of the tournament. I've never seen such healthy competition in any sport. All the teams were there with competitive spirit and all of them were there to win. At the same time, they were all true to their honour, cooperative and respectful to their fellow players at all times. There was no foul language, no sour behaviour and no grudges at the end of three days. It is no surprise that this game is capturing so many hearts.

This simple sport has taught me so many lessons in the 6 months that I have been playing it. I will continue playing this sport for all my life time competitively or just for fun, that I don't know and I would love to introduce Ultimate Frisbee to everyone I knew because it has so much to teach. I have learnt to control my temper, learnt to forgive, talk about what is bothering me and let go of bad things while holding on to all the good things till the end because the Spirit of the game is what counts!


No comments:

Post a Comment